What do Chiropractors do?
When you’re in pain, finding relief is one of the most important things you can do for your life. It’s hard to enjoy anything when you’re suffering, and as a result it’s vital to get some form of relief from what you’re dealing with. However, there are some problems that are very difficult for a family doctor or primary care physician to treat. One of the areas that provides them with major challenges is that of back and neck pain.
In these cases, visiting a chiropractor is a good call and something that your primary care physician may actually suggest. But many people are hesitant to seek help from a chiropractor because they are unsure of what it is that they do. Instead of going by rumour, or word of mouth, it’s worth taking a close look at exactly what chiropractors offer to you.
What Can Chiropractors Help WITH?
Chiropractors primarily provide relief for pain and stiffness in the back and neck area. In some instances, they could also help improve mobility, and often will deliver preventative treatment to help prevent future problems from occurring. Issues that they can help you overcome include:
- Back Pain
- Neck Pain
- Muscular Pain
- Shoulder Stiffness or Pain
- Postural Problems
The focus of chiropractors, and in particular of Doctor Jennifer Layton, lies with providing relief from pain without the use of prescription drugs or surgical intervention, and this is why they are a major part of the health care world today.
How Do Chiropractors Relieve Pain?
To provide pain relief to patients, chiropractors approach each individual as a doctor would, though their method of treatment will vary somewhat. They begin by talking with the patient and understanding what problems exist, and will likely also take x-rays. From here they can make a clear diagnosis about what the issue is, and set about correcting it.
There are a few things to understand about what chiropractors will actually do to provide you with pain relief. These include the following.
- The primary method of care is manipulation of the spine. By applying pressure and force to it, chiropractors are able to gradually adjust placement of bones and vertebrae, often providing immense relief to their patients.
- Use of muscular relaxing tools and techniques can also help deliver relief to those in pain. This can include hot or cold compresses, electrical stimulation, and more.
- Chiropractors also provide patients with lifestyle change suggestions and with self-care instructions that usually include things like stretching exercises to help maintain proper spinal health.
- They may also provide patients with a referral to another health care professional if their problems are beyond the scope of treatment that a chiropractor can provide.
By combining direct treatment with instructions on how better to care for one’s back, chiropractors are able to deliver pain relief and improved mobility among those who are suffering. Chiropractors also help patients understand how to prevent future problems through things like better posture and other lifestyle changes, helping reduce the chance of suffering from pain in the future.
It is important to understand that multiple treatments and multiple adjustments will likely be required in order to properly bring the spine into alignment. A single visit usually isn’t enough to completely fix the problem.
What Will Happen During A Chiropractic Visit?
You can find out more, by clicking here, but these are the basic steps you will likely go through during a visit with a chiropractor so you know what to expect. Here’s what will usually happen:
- You will have an initial consultation with the chiropractor, explaining your problem and pain.
- They will run an X-ray exam on your spine to identify problem areas like misaligned vertebrae.
- The chiropractor may apply electrical stimulation, cold, or heat to the back or neck to help relax the muscles.
- They will use manual manipulation to adjust the spine through leverage, force, direction, and velocity.
- You will be given instructions for how to care for yourself further when going through your daily routine including stretching exercises and posture guides.
- You will be supplied with an appointment several days in the future to continue treatment.
As mentioned earlier, if your problem can’t be helped with chiropractic care you may be referred to another medical professional. But for those with back and neck problems, chiropractic care is usually one of the best options available.
Do Chiropractic Adjustments Work?
One of the biggest questions regarding chiropractic care is simply whether or not it works, and whether it is worth the effort and money. While it’s not entirely 100% effective for everyone due to the simple fact that every patient and problem is different, for most patients chiropractic has been shown to be immensely effective.
In fact, recent studies into chiropractic care have helped provide much more legitimacy to the area of medical care. Not only do patients report feeling much better health-wise, but researchers have shown that chiropractic is effective at treating pain, stiffness, sciatica, and many other similar issues. Additionally, some evidence from new studies suggests that chiropractic can be used for a wide range of different problems including things like:
- Digestive issues
- And more
In other words, chiropractic works quite well and is something that anyone in pain should consider using to help overcome their pain and get the relief that they need to improve their overall quality of life and wellbeing. As a result, many physicians now recommend chiropractic care to their patients who are dealing with back pain that they can’t get relief from. It’s a legitimate option, and one that more people are taking advantage of.
Jennifer Layton has successfully treated many clients, and you can read some of their stories here.
An Option Worth Considering
So just what do chiropractors do? They provide pain relief to those who need it through a series of spinal adjustments and manipulation. But deeper than that, they help give those who are in pain their lives back. This is a very important side of the medical world, and one that is worth taking a closer look at if you’re ready to escape from your back or neck pain.
Contact Jennifer Layton on 01444 484582 for more information.